Sunday, June 20, 2010

Work

So I really do love my job. I'm gonna say that first before I start to tell you all about it. From what I am about to say one may think that I work in an awful environment, but really I do love it. Maybe I should explain exactly what it is that I do. I work in Central Registration for Child and Youth Services. I get to register all the kids for full time day care, part time care, hourly care, School Age Services (Kindergarten - 6th grade), Youth Center (6th- 18 years of age), and every single extra curricular activity that a child of a military soldier can take part in on base. Its a lot.

So 1 week into working in the office I found out the girl Ashley that I share an office with was leaving for a month. That was a bummer because we really got along. Now I get to share the office with the other lady Aggie who's real office is connected to mine by a door, but she is in a totally different room. Not for this month she is not, she is sitting at Ashley's desk. Aggie is an old lady, she could be my grandma. She is certifiably crazy. This lady complains about everything, thinks she is always right and apparently is in a 7 year feud with her daughter who so conveniently works at the School age Services building which we have to talk to on a daily basis.

These two are SO SUPER PETTY. They hang up on each other, tell the parents bad things about one another and as soon as they hang up the phone with each other they go and complain to DeAngelo, my supervisor, about one another. It is out of control, I honestly don't know how DeAngelo deals with it. He just keeps his mouth shut. He is so easy going I don't think anything could upset the man.

Everyday I have parents that come in that are angry about one thing or another and I get to deal with it. No matter what happens at the other buildings we are always blamed at Central Registration. Parents also have the idea that they are always correct and even when they don't keep up with changes that are made they expect to have priority. Not True! For example We just finished out the last week of sign ups for outdoor soccer. Apparently in the recent past parents have been able to sign their kids up for soccer without having the sports physical or the money to pay for it. They just had to have everything before the season started. I had parents coming in the last day of sign ups thinking that they could still do this when it was changed to they have to have the physical and the money or we can't sign them up. Parents were pissed because they hadn't even made appointments for their children yet. I'm sorry but i can't bend the rules. They are what they are. And come to find out its like a month wait for a pediatric appointment at the base hospital. I LOVE being able to upset the parents. They can complain all they want and write complaints but I cant get in trouble for it because I am following the rules. This happens for tons of things. I go home and laugh at how stupid some people are for waiting to the last minute and still not getting things their way.

Having always worked in positions where the customer was always right to me getting to tell people they shouldn't have waited so long to do something is a thrill. That among other things is why I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment